Nouveau Traditionalis

(noun) "new traditions"
a wanky phrase I made up to name the type of interior design I love.
what I want to create for myself and my family as we make a fresh start in life
the inspiration I want to give my daughters to embrace change and create a life they love

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Floors

We are deciding upon our floor coverings. I thought it would be fun, but it is actually really stressful! It is quite different to look at a picture and say “I love that!” than to actually look at samples and say “I want that throughout my house!” lol. But we are getting there.
Originally I wanted quite dark floors, but without the red undertones. I adore the look of these, what can only be solid timber floors. Devine.
dark-floor_via_lalalovely_blog
Source unknown via La La Lovely
We are going for floating timber floors, and I have been disappointed with what is available in the darker range. Mostly they have a distinct red tone or wenge, which wasn’t what I am after. Hubby suggested a lighter, almost limed look instead. I think I am liking it!
kitchen_schappacher_via_littlebitsoflovely_blog
Schappacher kitchen via Little Bits of Lovely
kitchen_traditionalhome_via_alifesdesign_blog
via Traditional Home

We are going for white cabinets but are still deciding on bench tops. I love the second picture, especially the contrast between the countertops and black stools.
Any thoughts on the flooring-bench top combination?
xx Romana

4 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Oooh, I want kitchen number two, kitchen number two!!

Kellie Collis said...

Same here with the second kitchen. It's got that contemporary feel and traditional feel all at the same time! So cozy! Kellie xx

Romana said...

thanks girls. I keep coming back to kitchen #2 too!
xR

My Secret Rooms said...

Kitchen number 2!!
I love it and want that look in our kitchen too.
We've been debating floors also, hubby and I and will get dark floors (if we can find it?!).
Eventually....

Good luck, can't wait to see how it turns out :-) Will look great!